January 2, 2013
New Year, New NetGalley!
Dear NetGalley member,
Welcome to 2013—a new year, with a new NetGalley! Do you remember how NetGalley looked at the start of 2012? (Refresh your memory.) My, how we’ve changed—and grown, too: last year at this time there were 50,000 NetGalley members. This year? We’re kicking off 2013 with over 92,000 reviewers, bloggers, media, booksellers, librarians and educators using our free service for professional readers. Whether you just joined, or you’ve been a member since the beginning, we want 2013 to be your best year with us, so here are some helpful hints to maximize your NetGalley experience.
First and foremost, make sure publishers know who you are! Quick ways to improve your profile:
- NEW! Add a profile photo to your account. You can now add a photo that is only visible to yourself and the publishers when you request a title. For help uploading a photo, click here.
- Update your Company/Affiliation. If you’ve changed jobs recently, make sure to indicate which company/organization you are affiliated with.
- Add links for your blog, LinkedIn, and Twitter handle. These three elements (if applicable) will help publishers see where you are posting reviews and how you are recommending new books.
- Fill out your Bio. This is a perfect place to include your website/blog and social media stats, sample reviews, where/how you share your reviews and any other relevant information that explains how you spread the word about books. Please click here to view our tips and suggestions for specific member types.
- Update your Associations and Categories. Use the drop-down to indicate if you’re a member of any Professional Associations, like the ALA or ABA. It’s also very important to select the genres you are most interested in under Preferred Categories, so we can recommend books you’ll like!
- Add your country. NetGalley is international! With so many publishers worldwide now using NetGalley, it’s become important for publishers to know what country you reside in, so they can make sure they have territory rights to share galleys with you.
Don’t forget, NetGalley will NEVER reveal your address, phone or email without your permission. Use the “Visible to Publishers” check-boxes to customize what publishers can see.
Throughout the year, make sure you’re getting the most out of NetGalley!
- Make sure your Profile is updated often. Each time you make a new request, publishers check your Bio and decide to approve/decline. Make sure they’re seeing the most up-to-date information.
- Provide feedback for approved titles. Publishers want to hear from you! There are two different ways to provide feedback for a title. You can notify the publisher of a full review (make sure to include where and when the review will be posted), or you can send a short note to the publisher. Even if you’re not a blogger/reviewer, you should still provide Feedback—see tips here. Short notes can consist of why you have decided not to finish reading or review a title, if you will be purchasing the title for your library or bookstore, and any other comments you think the publisher will find useful.
- Let us tell you about new titles. Subscribe to our newsletters by genre, and we’ll tell you about upcoming titles that fit your interests. Publishers often give our newsletter subscribers sneak peeks at forthcoming titles, or special auto-approval. Don’t miss out!
- Visit our Knowledge Base to learn all about NetGalley. Read our helpful FAQs anytime, and if you still need help, you can always contact us by clicking on Contact Support.
- Tell us what you think! Have an idea for something new you’d love to see, or a specific way you want to use the site? We always love to hear from you, and our development is a direct result of feedback from our members and publishers.
For additional tips, check out our Before You Request page!
Now that you know all the tips and tricks, why not make a New Year’s Resolution? Tell us your NetGalley Reading Goal for the year on Facebook or Twitter with #NG2013
Happy New Year, and Happy Reading!
The NetGalley Concierge Team